Friday, November 18, 2011

Delicious Designer Drinking Water

I get really bored drinking as much water as all the books tell me is good for me, so I decided to play around with it and make a myriad of fruit waters. People that come to my house for dinner always look forward to what kind of crazy and beautiful concoction they'll be drinking. 

My rabbi/natureopath/amazing artist/musician friend, Natan Segal  recently introduced me to adding spices and a whole new world has opened up! I went to his house and there were all these pretty jars filled with spiced water. He told me what each were and I took that ball and ran with it. Now I am hooked and my counter tops are full of pretty jars with tasty things.

Mix n Match any of the following... just have fun. The fresh things like ginger and mint can be used 3-4 times before losing their taste all together, but the dried spices are gifts that keep on giving. If the first batch of the dried spices is bitter, that is normal. Just throw that batch away and add new water and it should be fine.



Vanilla bean (or extract added to any is good)
Cardamon seeds (when the husks soften, just squeeze them to release the seeds for stronger flavors)
Clove
Cinnamon Stick
Star Anise
Allspice
Fresh Nutmeg
Fresh ginger sliced thinly
Kaffir Lime Leaves
Galangha
any fresh herb (rosemary, lavender, mint, parsley etc... very good when mixed in small portions with other flavors)

You just keep pouring boiling water over the top and let it sit until the desired strength is reached for as long as the flavor lasts. (May need to sit longer as spices lose their potency)

Now the fun part - to add diversity, use any of these as a base and add fruits or juice and a little sweetener. (I use stevia so as not to raise my glycemic index and not put anything sugary in my body. For those of you who don't care about that, use any sweetener you like. Just bear in mind it won't be processed as water in your body anymore; it becomes more like juice or any sweetened beverage.)

I LOVE grapefruit, kaffir lime, vanilla
grapefruit/ginger
pineapple/pomagranite/lavender
ginger/mint
pineapple (I use frozen tid bits and leave overnight) lime mint
anise/ginger lime or lemon
rosemary/ginger lemon
mixed spice
cardamon/raspberry
kiwi/lime/mint

just be creative...  any fruit you use will color the water... just make sure you let fruit waters sit over night to let the flavors meld

if the fresh herbs turn brown, just remove and add fresh ones before serving







Love, Love, Love

No comments:

Post a Comment