Friday, November 18, 2011

Totally Gingery Pear/Apple Crisp

I had some pears that were getting a little questionable and some green apples lying around so I decided to make a crisp. I usually use oatmeal or some kind of yummy granola, but upon searching through my cabinets, I had neither. I did however find some ginger snaps and thought, "Wow! Now that would be yummy!" Indeed, the end result is amazing. Perfect for ginger lovers. Enjoy!

Insides:
4 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
3 large pears, peeled, cored and sliced
1/2" peeled ginger in the thinnest slivers you can cut
toss with:
juice of a lemon
1 tsp vanilla
good dash of cinnamon
1/4 tsp full strength stevia w/ 1/3 c agave (real maple syrup will do too) or 1/2 c. sugar
little flour (2 tsp)

pile and press into square baking dish, dot with butter

Topping:
10-12 ginger snaps (I used the kind from Trader Joes), crushed
1/2 flour
2/3 c. nuts (I like pecans but any will do) finely chopped
1/3 dark brown sugar or other sweetener
4 TBS butter chopped in little cubes

work topping with fingers until crumbly and butter is evenly dispersed

Cook at 375 until top is golden brown 30-40 minutes
I served mine with thick greek yogurt drizzled with agave

No comments:

Post a Comment